Friday 14 January 2011

134 THROWING MUSES, Band Of Susans, Southampton University, Saturday 17 June 1989


This South Coast trip, meeting up with Southampton Uni-domiciled Ady, is becoming a very familiar and enjoyable jaunt. Only subjected myself to 4 numbers of the dirge-like wall of noise that was the Band Of Susans' set, as my ears couldn't take the battering! Headed for the sanctuary of the bar instead.

Throwing Muses took the stage at 10.30 and sweltered through a marvellously inventive, varied and fascinating set of jagged rock noise, delivered with power, subtlety and care. Light and shade, thrills and tender moments, it's all here; I defy anyone not to find something they adore in the Muses canon of work. Me, I love it all and was left in awe - once again! I also got to speak to Tanya Muse afterwards, who signed my set-list and said she'd remembered meeting me at their Bierkeller gig in February! Wow!

No comments:

Post a Comment