Thursday 20 January 2011

106 THE PARACHUTE MEN, The Swanjacks, London Finsbury Park Sir George Robey, Tuesday 13 September 1988


Back on the gig trail after a Summer of inactivity for this first visit to The Sir George Robey, a massive pub venue in North London, and also my first ever gig taking photos. (This gig also turned out to be the start of a couple of beautiful friendships, as firstly I went on my own but ended up chatting to an American student from Boston, called Sue, and secondly I got to meet The Parachute Men, still one of my all-time favourite groups, for the first time...) I noticed the band getting pre-gig scran in a nearby cafe after I'd parked up, and asked them if I could take pics tonight!

Support the Swanjacks were blessed with an excellent frontman, but their r'n'b inspired pop was messily played and left me cold.

The Parachute Men, however, played a punchy, hard rocking set of excellent tunes from their superb LP "The Innocents", which is rapidly establishing itself as my favourite of 1988. Set closer "If I Could Wear Your Jacket" was a brilliant highlight of a lovely set of melodic female voiced indie pop. Popped backstage afterwards and chatted to the band again!

No comments:

Post a Comment