Thursday 6 January 2011

171 FIVE THIRTY, Mock Turtles, Milltown Brothers, Divine Comedy, London University Of London Union, Sunday 29 July 1990


A special "Sunday Roast" show with 4 bands, plus 2 further bands (whom I missed) playing in the bar! Took the train down on my own as Veronica bottled out at the last minute, then had a guest-list mare as I was on it under a different name (I was the plus one for my mate Andy, who I'd seen Five Thirty with a couple of weeks ago, but who also bottled out tonight!), so I ended up having to pay! Bah!

An early starter, this one; a packed and hot ULU with NME hack Steve Lamacq doing the DJ-ing in the main hall between bands. Openers The Divine Comedy were a nice Irish tinged band with traces of influences as diverse as REM and the Monkees! Certainly better than the crap Milltown Brothers - but you'd probably guess that anyway. The Mock Turtles were a huge disappointment; after 2 excellent poppy tunes, they degenerated into sub Happy Mondays rhythmic poncing about, and ended with a cover of Jimi Hendrix's "Are You Experienced" which was so awful you could hear the purple hazed one turning in his grave.

No such problems from Five Thirty though; I ran into guitarist Paul beforehand and he promised a stormer, and boy did they deliver! From the mod-ish Jam push'n'shove blasts of "Catcher In The Rye", "Abstain" and "Judy Jones" to the well-worked "Beseech Me Baby" to the heavy dirty funk of "13th Disciple" and "Coming Up For Air", each one tonight was a tight, taut and totally earth-shattering classic. A set I spent rocking out in the moshpit and getting well sweaty to, and one I'll remember for a long time. This was a gig to tell your grandkids about...

No comments:

Post a Comment