Thursday 9 September 2010

363 BOOM BOOM MANCINI, Supp. The Dandys, Contrast, London Highbury Garage, Wednesday 17 December 1997


Made a train trip up on my own to the Smoke on the coldest, snowiest night of the year for some rock. Why not? Got to the venue and bumped into an incredulous Geoff, bassist with BBM, after enjoying a chunky and absorbingly good guitar set from Contrast, played to a sparse audience.

I was here for Boom Boom Mancini, though, and they came on at 9.30 and played an excellent set, interspersing old favourites "35 East Drive", the breathless "Supermodel Human" and the mammoth mania of "Head" into their set of otherwise lean and melodic newies, fuelled by tapes and drum machines and delivered with their usual excellent vigour. Vocalist Dianne was a riveting focus as I danced my legs off! Chatted with them afterwards during the Dandy's reasonable set - again - before leaving to catch my train. Sorry Dandys, but I'd seen who I came to see!

No comments:

Post a Comment