Tuesday 31 August 2010

369 WARM JETS, Idlewild, Reading Alleycat "Live", Friday 6 March 1998

First gig where I set off from my new house in Liden (although I really wasn't there that long!). Dave picked me up, and he drove myself, Ady and Tim down to the Alleycat, in time to get a pint in before support Idlewild started at 9. They were painfully young and introverted types, who nevertheless played a spiky punk thrash, which initially reminded old timers Dave and myself of Birdland (remember them???) but also sounded like a slightly thrashy and more unhinged Joy Division. When they get their shit together, they may be a name to watch...

Quite a crowd out for the Warm Jets tonight, which seems to signify that they're on their way up, right now. Vocalist Louis Jones' romance with DJ Zoe Ball having ended, I think the star spotters are on their way out, and real fans hopefully on their way in! Tonight they took a little while to get started properly in their set, but burst into life with the mesmeric "Silver Surfer". Overall, another fine, moody and agitated set from the Jets, during which I shook a leg despite recovering from flu! They'll play better sets than this one, so The Warm Jets are definitely a name to watch in 1998!

No comments:

Post a Comment