Saturday 23 October 2021

1,195 STARJETS, London Hope and Anchor, Friday 22nd October 2021



This one represented a massive box ticked off my “Bands To See” Bucket list. I’d seen Belfast’s Starjets on Top Of The Pops in 1979 performing their almost-hit “War Stories”, an irrepressible and buoyant New Wave powerpop number, with a leather-jacketed youthful charm; however it was the subsequent “Shiraleo” single, a year later, which really piqued – nay, skewered – my interest. Taking the amphetamine-fast levels up about two million notches from its’ predecessor, this was a glorious, heavenly, soaring blast out of the blocks, with a rampant, rampaging harmonic hook. I was floored. In all honesty, I thought I’d found my new favourite band – or at least, serious rivals to The Skids for that particular honour at that time. Until, in devastating news to my 15 year old self, I then discovered “Shiraleo” was Starjets’ epitaph, the band soldiering on briefly as Tango Brigade before chucking it in altogether. Vocalist Terry Sharpe and I crossed paths briefly a few years later, his 80’s shiny chart pop act The Adventures supporting Tears For Fears at Golddiggers in 1985 (gig 25!), but that was it, and in fact, all I’d expected… after all, no chance of a Starjets reunion, as they weren’t that well-known first time round, right?

 Wrong, I’m happy to say… rumblings emanated from the Emerald Isle a year or so back that Starjets were indeed scratching that reunion itch, with a couple of low-key local gigs which put them on my radar for any UK shows; and patience bore fruit, with the announcement of this one, a “Starjets featuring [original guitarist] Paul Bowen” at the Hope And Anchor, a legendary Islington pub venue I’d driven past plenty of times on the way to the nearby Highbury Garage but, shamefully, never been to. This banner suggested Paul would be the only original Starjet on duty, but fuck it, I’d happily travel to London to see “Shiraleo” played on rubber bands and tin pots! I gleefully booked tix and, come the day, I headed off at 4, intending to park up in my old Garage spot along Upper Street. Stopped for tea at Heston, noticing a couple of blokes in Arsenal shirts which jogged my memory; hang on, are Arsenal at home tonight? Yes they are. Bugger! Anticipating gridlocked traffic around the venue and all parking spots either taken or coned off, I rethought plans and dumped the motor in Hammersmith (forgetting until after I’d parked, that parking charges are £5.50 for up to 4 hours, then up to £20 for my intended 4-6 hour stay. Bugger! Again…), tubing it over, inching out of Highbury and Islington tube station just after 7 with the Gooner hordes, then noticing plenty of clear parking spaces on my walk to the venue. Bollocks!



 Grabbed a drink in the packed pub and watched the Arsenal faithful file out, then took a wander downstairs to this compact and evocatively dingy basement room, immediately running into 70’s punk legend Spizz at the bar! Stopped for a chat with Spizz, an absolute fruitcake but a lovely and voluble conversationalist, and tonight’s promotor and Spizz’ drummer, who confirmed that a) this would be an early one, as the support just hadn’t bothered turning up (!), and b) Paul Bowen would indeed by the sole original member in this ersatz Starjets line-up, usual vocalist Sharpe at home in Belfast looking after his dad, who’d just turned 100! No matter: apparently tonight’s drummer had apparently seen time in Adam Ant’s touring band and the bassist was in Joe Strummer’s band The Mescaleros, so some pretty decent pedigree there! Paul Bowen joined us briefly too, so I took the opportunity to… well, just thank him for playing tonight, for dragging me up from the ‘don to hear Starjets material “live” for the first time.

 Took a spot down the front as the 3-piece line-up took the stage to the strains of Thin Lizzy’s classic “The Boys Are Back In Town” – so, inevitably, they started playing along, this turning into a full-blown cover! “Here’s one by the Starjets!” announced Paul, tongue in cheek, launching into intended opener “School Days”, a prime slice of racy, pacy melodic punk pop, which sounded tough and fulsome for a 3-piece. “Thanks for coming,” welcomed Paul at its conclusion; “thanks to David Rose for coming from Swindon!” (I’m not worthy, I’m not worthy etc.) In fact, Paul seemed to know where all tonight’s attendees (about a 2 or 3 dozen hardy souls, plenty for this small venue) had come from, which again gave the impression of a special exclusive event, as if Paul was playing to friends and family. Which, maybe, he was…

 


A couple of newies ensued: “Geordie Best” (preceded by Paul admitting this song nearly got him into a fight in Glasgow when he announced it was about the best footballer ever, a bolshy local suggesting firmly he, Paul, should, write a song about Jimmy Johnstone”!), then “Titanic Town”, a lower-key, almost bluesy tribute to hometown Belfast (“I’ve played this down the middle [of the religious divide]; all you can hope to do is get on with your neighbours and hopefully die peacefully in your sleep!”). Then, preceded by a tale of how Paul dropped a copy of the 7” single off to John Peel, only to told later by the great man, “I’m not going to play it as it’s too tuneful, so doesn’t interest me!”, was the number I was really here for; easing in less forcefully and dynamically than on record, “Shiraleo” was nonetheless superb, scintillating and soaring, Paul’s accented vocals deeper and more resonant than the higher-pitched clarity of Sharpe’s recorded voice, yet still suiting this number perfectly, and getting me working up a sweat down the front. Dedicated to me after the fact too, as I’d been waiting 40 years to hear it “live”. Highlight of the set? Hell, one of the highlights of my year…!

 “Legendary Girl”, a poignant tribute to murdered LGBTQ activist Lyra McKee, was easily the best of the newies (by which I mean, anything written after 1980!); then it all got a bit punk rock…(!) A ragged “I Fought The Law” prompted the boys to tackle an impromptu “London Calling” as well; “War Stories”, Starjets TOTP moment, was delivered brilliantly and breathtakingly after Paul’s story of how Green Day’s Billie Joe Armstrong had covered it on a YouTube lockdown series; then Paul decided to return the favour, delivering a splendidly raucous “Basketcase” to close out the planned set. Not the night, though, as the band threw in encore covers of Irish rock classics “Teenage Kicks” and a snaking, undulating “Whisky In The Jar” for good measure. In all honesty, I’d have liked to hear a few more Starjets originals (“Ten Years” and “Standby 19” would have been my shouts) instead of the proliferation of covers, but hey, I’m being picky. This was a fine, entertaining gig which, for “Schooldays”, “War Stories” and particularly “Shiraleo”, touched the hem of greatness, doing full justice to those classic songs I’ve known so well for so long.

 A signed list and a couple of words with the man, before I took the opportunity to beat the football exodus, crossing town easily and, despite a brief diversion around Heathrow, hitting home just after midnight. Hopefully next time Mr. Sharpe will be available to provide those harmonies missing tonight, but in the meantime, that massive box was still well and truly ticked tonight. God Bless Paul Bowen and The Starjets!

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment