Wednesday 26 June 2019

1,142 GAZ BROOKFIELD, Simon Hall; 1143 RAZE*REBUILD, Swindon Beehive; Swindon Regent, Friday 21st June 2019




What had threatened to be a rather unfortunate gig clash – and indeed, earlier in the evening, a medical emergency-induced double blowout – turned into a quite splendid raucous 2 gig night out in the ‘don! I’d long penned local blue-collar rock faves Raze*Rebuild’s 2019 debut into my Spring Dance Card, tonight’s show at The Regent serving as both Shuffle warm-up and a celebratory performance for Regent (and former Castle) landlady Audrey’s birthday; however, acoustic folk/punk guitar basher and gig regular Gaz Brookfield then announced an impromptu solo performance at The Beehive – for the same night! To make matters worse, said gig was going to be part-recorded for a mob singalong to feature on his new album! Bugger! Heavy of heart, I decided to stick to my initial plan and go see Raze, but call at The Beehive first – where Raze frontman Si Hall was pulling a double shift of his own tonight, doing an acoustic solo support slot for Gaz – and tender my apologies to the man, maybe catch some of his set before legging it up the hill to The Regent if timings were favourable. You never know…!

But then the medical emergency; earlier in the week I’d been prescribed Beta-blockers to start to address a long-standing (and hereditary) atrial fibrillation issue, but I’d reacted badly to them, suffering with shortness of breath. In fact, after my leisurely cycle commute home Friday evening, I was gasping like a guppy fish on dry land, and in need of medical advice. Thus, I was frustratingly sat in an out-of-hours Doc’s surgery at 8.15, calming my breathing down but increasing my blood pressure at possibly missing out on tonight’s shenanigans! An all-clear (and chuck the damn Beta-blockers away!) from the doc later, I drove swiftly up the hill, hitting a well-attended Beehive to catch the last 3 numbers of Si’s set. “Kat I’m Sorry” sounded as impassioned as ever, Si warming up his larynx for later, an acoustic “Back To The Fall” nonetheless went well (“I wasn’t sure how that would go!” confessed Si), and “Sand In The Petrol” (“a sad slow one to end on a high note!”) rounded off a fine and well observed, if slightly reined-in set, Si thanking all and sundry for being so attentive!

I passed on my apologies to a magnanimous and understanding Gaz, also informing him of Logan’s mention of him on our recent “Dinosaur To Junior” appearance on Steve Lamacq’s Radio 6 show. Si advised Raze were due on about 10, which happily gave me about ½ hour of the Brookfield, so I stuck around, chilling outside with Ady then popping in for Gaz’ set at 9.30. A fun newie to start, featuring some wordy interplay about writing new songs, ironically enough, then we were straight into the likes of “Diabetes Blues”, “Gunner Haines” and “Under The Table”, to a loud reception from the raucous crowd, who to Gaz’ obvious delight, sang along to pretty much everything. No fool Gaz; he’d clearly thought this through and picked a set of well-known, roof-raising singalong bangers to really warm the crowd’s collective larynx in advance of the mob singalong. In good fooling too, the man; “Haines” was introduced with a quip of, “a song about a dead soldier – keeping it light!”, “So Very Rock And Roll” was, in Gaz’ words, “what its’ really like to be a professional musician – “professional musician”, hah! Both of those words are a lie!”, and a punky “I’ve Paid My Money” allegedly had it’s first 2 verses, “written by pricks!”
“Maps”, oddly enough, was a stand-out, things getting weird as the audience kept calling out the title, so by the later “Be The Bigger Man”, the audience were in clear party spirits.

(Me too – by this time I’d excused myself at 10, but a swift wander up The Regent revealed things running very late, openers Flour Babies having just started their set! Thus buoyed, I popped back down The Beehive for the rest of Gaz!)

So I was happily there for the recording; a couple of runs through “Great Minds Drink Alike”, Gaz performing it off-mic in the middle of the crowd, with everyone giving it their roof-raising lustiest best voices. So it seems that, along with a few dozen other loud punters, I’m on the next Gaz Brookfield album. Great stuff! Gaz broke out the Whitney Houston cover after that, which was a fortuitous time to head up the hill, where Raze*Rebuild were plugging in and getting ready for launch at 11. Good timing!

Due to my medical issues earlier, I was strictly instructed not to dance, but I nonetheless took my usual front row spot for Raze’s opener “Burden Of Youth”, being joined by Ady and also old mates Avril and Ingrid, out on a girly night and clearly, erm, well-refreshed…! “Burden” was a rampaging opener setting the stall out for the set, Si clearly saving his roar for this one, and an almost jolly “Face For Radio” followed, a few folks dancing along and myself obeying doctors orders, contenting myself with a gentle sway… Damn shame, as this was pretty much a totally incendiary set – in fact, I’m sure that if you looked up the word “incendiary” in the Oxford English Dictionary of Rock, there’d be a pic of Si in full flow, lionesque roar and bulging neck veins, backed up by Matt intricately picking the riffery, Paj head bobbing in time to the bass, and Jamie pounding furiously away at the back. Another clear masterclass in what makes “live” rock’n’roll such an inclusive, visceral experience; again, by no means note-perfect or technically spot-on, but raw-boned, raggedy-arsed, sweaty and hellishly awesome. The rampant “New Leaf” got me a namecheck, “Sand In The Petrol” was honest and impassioned (for the second time tonight!) and “Troubled Minds” was a brilliant punky blast.

“This has gone way better than I thought!” gasped Si at the encore; “set the bar low and you can’t fail to be impressed!” as they launched into closer “Back To The Fall”. Another great, rocking set from the Raze; they’re well warmed up for The Shuffle, I’d say, and hopefully I’ll have my dancing shorts back on then and will be able to do them justice…

Chats with friends and the Raze boys afterwards – I think they appreciated my mentioning them on Lamacq’s show, which was nice – then a wander back to the car via The Beehive for a quick word with Gaz; and an almost London-late 12.45 home time… good thing it’s Friday night! So, another slap in the face for anyone who says nothing happens in Swindon; this was a great double-header out in the ‘don!

No comments:

Post a Comment