Tuesday 27 November 2018

1,113 TC&I (TERRY CHAMBERS AND COLIN MOULDING), Swindon Arts Centre, Tuesday 20th November 2018


Okay, let me share my XTC lament with you. No, not the one where I turned down an opportunity to see them "live" at Swindon Oasis in 1980, an event which would have been my first ever gig (I thought I was too young, my 'rents wouldn't let me, I'd have a chance to see them when I was older... ha!), the other lament... This one predates that by a year or so, when I was a painfully shy early teenager, slowly coming out of my shell thanks to a burgeoning interest in the then-current punk and new wave scene. My Aunt Helen, only 10 years older than I, got wind of this and suggested I might like her friend's husband's band XTC, subsequently turning up at my folks' house with the friend, Carol Moulding, in tow, along with a signed copy of said band's latest single, "Life Begins At The Hop". I thanked her, played it sporadically, liked it fine but no more, then later sold it to a schoolmate for a fiver. Yup, I know. Shoot me now.

I came to regret that in later years, as I revisited and came to revere XTC's taut, nervous and quirky art-school punk early albums, and, to a lesser extent (and largely thanks to the enthusiasm of a slew of my Boston friends), their more cerebral, studied and Beatles-esque melodic later material. Andy Partridge's decision to stop performing "live" back in 1982 seemingly put the kibosh on ever hearing that stuff onstage, although I jumped at Dave Gregory’s fairly recent "live" involvement with Tin Spirits, putting up with their anodyne prog for a brief smattering of such as "Towers Of London". That was probably it, though, thought I, until... Scarcely believable news emerged that a recent collaboration between original XTC members, drummer Terry Chambers (returning from a 30-year Australian sojourn) and bassist and co-songwriter Colin Moulding (that'd be Carol's hubby, then...!), which had resulted in a 4-track EP under the clever pseudonym of TC&I, would then be followed up by a series of low-key gigs at Swindon Arts Centre. Incredible! However, the first set of shows coincided with our family holiday in Turkey, another one with “Shiiine On”, but a final date, the day after my return from Minehead, afforded me the chance to finally see at least half of XTC "live", and (thanks to my finding a copy of "Hop" in an Edinburgh record shop last year) maybe even right an ancient wrong...

A potentially serious spanner was thrown in the works on the day of the gig, when my wife's London meeting overran, leaving me biting my nails at home, as the band’s onstage time of 8.15 loomed ever nearer. Thankfully, she arrived home at 5 to 8, I hared it up the hill to my secret car park, hitting the venue and taking my seat at 8.11. Result! The anticipation was palpable in the small sold-out hall, with people having travelled from far and wide (I sat next to a high-heeled gent from Tintagel!), so it was to a rapturous welcome that Colin led the 5-piece band onstage, announcing his intention to, "play some songs from the Jurassic Period again", then quipping, "I've got my flask of cocoa... rock'n'roll!"

The early stages were given over to more latter-day XTC material, Colin's compositions only (of course) and whilst it was all effortlessly melodic, relaxed and wistfully lovely, played with suitable reverence by Colin and the band (also featuring his drummer son Lee on percussion, plus guitarist Steve Tilling, a wide-eyed, stripey-trousered young Wilko Johnson clone), it felt, to me at least, like the warm up rather than the main event itself. "Ten Feet Tall" with an almost calypso rhythm, was a gentle early highlight, as was the McCartney-esque earworm of "Scatter Me" from the TC&I EP, and the pastoral vibe of "Wonderland". In fact, the poppier Beatle was clearly a touchstone for the late-period XTC and therefore the early stages of his set... never been a massive McCartney fan, so that's possibly why the first part of the set merely meandered pleasantly along for me, but after Colin announced a break, "so the management can fleece you in the bar," I have to say I was expecting more from part 2...

And I pretty much immediately got it; "Wardance", second number in, was much more upbeat and dynamic, whilst retaining that effortless melody and quintessentially English feel. "Big Day" saw Colin espouse on the perils of marriage ("which we know are many... but not in my case," he added with a glance to wife Carol in the wings), and "Ball And Chain" was the highlight thus far, upbeat, joyous and buoyant. However the best was well and truly saved for last; a great, racey "Generals And Majors" finally got everyone out of their seats, followed by set closer, the inevitable and superb angular backbeat of "Making Plans For Nigel". A first encore of the soaring "Statue Of Liberty" (introduced as, "for my old bandmate Andy Partridge," and the only Partridge composition on show tonight) merely set the table for the highlight of the night, a thrilling second encore of "Life Begins At The Hop", the taut metronome rhythm bring propelled along by Terry's superb tubthumping, Colin’s boisterous, bolshy vocal and that brilliantly undulating guitar hook. Brilliant way to end an overall sublime evening of melodic delights.

And, after a long wait (during which I chatted with various Mouldings, primarily Carol, who warmly remembered both my Aunt and my Nan, and Lee's wife Alexandra, a Level 3 face from those halcyon 90's days), I rather sheepishly got to tell the "Hop" story to a stern Colin and Terry, who nonetheless signed my Edinburgh copy and posed for pix. Result! Headed off home late but vindicated, after an overall splendid night's celebration of Swindon’s finest musical exports, XTC, and that ancient wrong righted!

No comments:

Post a Comment